Java Duchess - Character Design

I have been working on a character a Java mascot if you will for a few months now and I am finally satisfied with my work. I drew up the character using AutoDesk SketchBook on my Galaxy Note 5. I was actually surprised how good SketchBook is, and I don't mind the small screen it's just like drawing in a normal pocket sketch book. I put some of the finished results on DeviantArt but I want to put all the images that lead to the final result somewhere so why not here.
This is the final result of the standard duchess character model sheet.
My rough draft was just to get the character shape I wanted. I was hoping to have a body type that was not as standard.
After the general shape I cleaned up all the lines and solidified the style of the character.

I was going for a costume that was a combination of Rogue, Starfire, and Raven, but the paladin flap in the front wasn't working for me.
This became the basic outline for my character it took me awhile to get here and a lot of different designs but I am going to stick with this one. finally shading...
And of course coloring I did the coloring in Gimp I made each color a layer which will allow me to make a lot of different variations without changing the overall feel of the character. Once I finish modeling the character in blender I plan on putting here out on Open game art.

If you are wondering drawing all those nice neat straight thick lines in SketchBook is just as painful as on paper...LOL

Comments

Popular Posts